History of the Statue
It has been determined that this statue is an official International Pilgrim Virgin Statue. These statues are property of the Fatima Sanctuary of Portugal. This wood statue was carved in the first half of the 20th century. It appears to be the work of Portuguese artist Jose Ferreira Thedim (1892-1971).
Prior to its first pilgrimage of May 13, 1947, Pope Pius XII blessed this statue. The pilgrimage was made to celebrate and commemorate the 30th anniversary of the apparition of the Blessed Mother.
On October 13, 1952, the Bishop of Fatima blessed this image for its mission to the United Nations.
On December 8th, 1952, having been brought to America from Fatima, the statue was taken into the Meditation Room of the United Nations by Msgr. Harold Colgan, founder of the Blue Army now known as the World Apostolate of Fatima. It was at the United Nations that Monsigeur Colgan led the recitation of the Rosary. Since that time, the UN International Pilgrim Statue has been part of the World Apostolate of Fatima and its Dicastery.
This treasured replica of Our Lady of Fatima has traveled the globe.